[unav_all] Fall AGU session on HIkurangi subduction margin processes: T042

Laura Wallace l.wallace at gns.cri.nz
Tue Jun 26 23:43:16 MDT 2018

We would like to draw your attention to a session at Fall AGU in Washington, D.C. on subduction processes at the Hikurangi subduction zone, New Zealand.  We aim to bring together results on a broad range of research currently going on at the Hikurangi subduction zone. Please consider presenting your research on the HIkurangi margin to our session.  We also welcome comparative studies from other subduction margins, and theoretical and modeling studies that elucidate processes influencing subduction zone characteristics and behavior.

Session number: T042

Conveners: Laura Wallace (GNS Science & University of Texas Inst. for Geophysics), Rebecca Bell (Imperial College, London), Kimihiro Mochizuki (Earthquake Research Institute, Univ. Tokyo), Demian Saffer (Pennsylvania State University)

The Hikurangi subduction zone offshore New Zealand's North Island exhibits pronounced along-strike changes in margin characteristics that make it an outstanding natural laboratory to investigate a wide range of fundamental subduction processes. This unique aspect of the subduction zone has sparked a plethora of new onshore and offshore geological and geophysical investigations. These experiments are helping to unravel the physical processes that control subduction plate boundary geodynamics and deformation.  Recent efforts include scientific ocean drilling, multiple active and passive seismic experiments, seafloor geodetic deployments, and paleoseismic investigations.  We welcome submissions that advance understanding of the Hikurangi subduction zone, including processes that underlie slow slip events and earthquake cycle behavior, volcanism and intra-arc rifting, volatile and fluid cycling, long-term subduction margin evolution, and geohazards associated with the plate boundary. Modeling studies, and comparative studies with other subduction zones to elucidate factors controlling subduction zone processes are also very welcome.

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/44155
Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential and may not be used, published or redistributed without the prior written consent of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Limited (GNS Science). If received in error please destroy and immediately notify GNS Science. Do not copy or disclose the contents.