[unav_all] Volcanism and Active Geology of the island of Hawai'i (Field-based course through the University of Alaska Fairbanks)

Freymueller, Jeffrey freymuel at msu.edu
Mon Oct 29 02:36:50 MDT 2018

From: Jeff Freymueller <freymuel at msu.edu>
Subject: Volcanism and Active Geology of the island of Hawai'i (Field-based course through the University of Alaska Fairbanks)

If you are a faculty member, please forward this to undergraduates who may be interested. If you are an undergraduate, read on!

This coming January (Jan 3-12, 2019) we will once again offer the field-based Wintermester course "Volcanism and Active Geology of the island of Hawai’i”. Topics include physical features of the volcanoes, plate tectonics and the origin of volcanism, and the development and "life cycle" of oceanic islands.

There is no substitute for field-based instruction in the geosciences. Students can learn a tremendous amount even from just a few days in the field, seeing features and processes with their own eyes, and this results not only in greater knowledge and insights but also enhanced enthusiasm and motivation. There is probably no better place in the world to introduce students to the basic physical features of volcanoes than the island of Hawai'i, with its active Kilauea and Mauna Loa volcanoes, and we can also make basic features of plate tectonics and a physical understanding of plate tectonics, erosion, the age and development of the ocean basins, and a host of other problems come to life vividly in this setting.

Things have come together late this year for a variety of reasons, mostly because of the damage to infrastructure caused by the 2018 eruption. But it is now clear that it will be possible to do the course, although with some changes as there are stops we have done in the past that can no longer be accessed, along with new things to see. The situation is changing week by week as the National Park re-opens things, so be prepared for some changes to the detailed daily schedule as we get closer to the time of the course. But the overall dates will remain as shown here.

The course numbers have changed from what you may have seen in the past, and more details are on the updated website.

http://www.gps.alaska.edu/jeff/Classes/GEOS353.html
http://www.gps.alaska.edu/jeff/Classes/GEOS393.html

We do ask for a short application process for students who are interested, and you’ll need instructor approval to be able to sign up (registration for Wintermester opens in November). So please contact me (jfreymueller at alaska.edu<mailto:jfreymueller at alaska.edu>) if you are interested. More details are on the website. There may be some limitations on the number of students we can take this year due to availability of lodging, so the earliest applications will be given priority.

Also note that I have moved to Michigan State University, but will be organizing and teaching the course this year through UAF.

Jeff
Dr. Jeffrey T. Freymueller
Thomas A. Vogel Endowed Chair for Geology of the Solid Earth
Dept. of Earth and Environmental Sciences
Michigan State University