EPS Special Issue "L-band Synthetic Aperture Radar: Current and future applications to Earth sciences" Deadline extension

yosuke aoki yaoki at eri.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Mon Dec 16 22:24:19 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues,

The deadline of the Special Issue in Earth Planets and Space "L-band Synthetic Aperture Radar: Current and future applications to Earth sciences" is extended by three months to 31 March 2020.

See
https://earth-planets-space.springeropen.com/lbsar
for details.

Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) is a powerful tool for imaging Earth's surfaces; it works day and night and regardless of the presence of clouds. SAR images taken from L-band SAR satellites complement those taken from satellites at shorter wavelengths such as C-band and X-band – L-band images have less resolution than C- and X-band images, but are more coherent over time, especially in vegetated regions. L-band data is typically easier to unwrap (higher coherence and fewer fringes), but more susceptible to effects of the ionosphere.

L-band SAR satellites include JERS-1 (1992-1998), ALOS (2006-2011), ALOS-2 (2014-present), which have recurrence time of order a few weeks.  Such recurrence times do not allow monitoring with high temporal resolution. However, after the launch of ALOS-4, NISAR, Tandem-L, and SAOCOM in the next few years, we will be able to monitor Earth's surface every few days with L-band SAR. Therefore, now is a good time to review what we have learned from previous and ongoing L-band missions (space-based and airborne) and what we expect to learn from future missions.

This Special Issue welcomes contributions on various aspects of the use of L-band SAR data in Earth Science including, but not limited to, tectonics, volcanology, glaciology, and forestry. We do not accept purely review papers; a contribution must be an original paper.

Potential topics include but are not limited to:

	• Tectonic deformation
	• Volcano deformation
	• Glacier motion
	• Detection of various hazards e.g., earthquake rupture, volcanic pyroclastic flows, flooding, landslide, Temporal changes in forest

Guest Editors:
Yosuke Aoki, University of Tokyo, Japan
Masato Furuya, Hokkaido University, Japan
Francesco De Zan, DLR, Germany
Marie-Pierre Doin, University Grenoble Alpes, France
Michael Eineder, DLR, Germany
Masato Ohki, JAXA, Japan
Mark Simons, Caltech, USA
Tim Wright, University Leeds, UK

Best Regards,
Yosuke
Yosuke Aoki / yaoki at eri.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Earthquake Research Institute, University of Tokyo
1-1 Yayoi 1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0032, Japan
Phone: +81-3-5841-8283 Fax: +81-3-3812-6979
http://www.eri.u-tokyo.ac.jp/yaoki/index.html