[unav_all] Catalyzing Opportunities for Research in the Earth Sciences (CORES)

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Mon Jan 7 16:19:31 MST 2019

Colleagues,

As you have likely heard by now, the NSF has requested the help of the National Academies to inform the future of Earth Sciences research, and the facilities required to support those emerging research opportunities, by sponsoring a consensus study.   The effort is called:  Catalyzing Opportunities for Research in the Earth Sciences.  As part of this evaluation, additional questions regarding optimizing facilities management in support of future research have come into focus; among other things an evaluation of facility management models has arisen.

Input on these topics will take several forms, including a CORES workshop anticipated this spring (it will be announced when the timing is known) and a posted comment form (https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4717567/CORES-Community-Input <https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4717567/CORES-Community-Input> ) that is open now.

The report will be very important to the future of facilities support for the Geophysics and broader Geosciences communities.

 To quote from a recent NSF message:
> As you’ve probably heard, the National Science Foundation’s Division of Earth Sciences is the sponsor of an ongoing National Academies’ consensus study, Catalyzing Opportunities for Research in the Earth Sciences (CORES). The CORES study will provide advice that can be used by NSF to set priorities and strategies for investments in Earth science research, infrastructure, and training over the coming decade. In mid-November, the committee received an additional task: to convene a workshop to address different management models for future seismological and geodetic facility capabilities (including instrumentation, user support services, data management, education/outreach, and workforce development) for EAR. This task can be found in the last paragraph of the attached statement of task. This workshop will also provide information for the second task of the CORES study.

I have also attached the referenced statement of task as a PDF.    If you haven’t already, and wish to subscribe to updates, follow this link:
http://dels.nas.edu/Study-In-Progress/Catalyzing-Opportunities-Research/DELS-BESR-17-06

If you were distracted by the holidays as I was, I hope that this is a timely reminder of the opportunity to provide comment!

Warm regards,

Meghan Miller