[unav_all] Submit Abstract to NH008. Centennial Overview: Data science and the future of Natural Hazards Science

Robert Weiss weiszr at vt.edu
Sun Jul 28 17:00:00 UTC 2019

Hello All,

We would like to bring your attention and encourage you to submit abstract
to the AGU Fall Meeting session *NH008. Centennial Overview: Data science
and the future of Natural Hazards Science*. Please note that this session
is what AGU calls a Centennial SWIRL session, which means that our session
is exempt from the first-author rule.
Session Description:
Observing systems including satellites, global networks, unmanned vehicles,
and other linked devices, have become increasingly abundant. This diversity
of systems gives natural hazards scientists unprecedented amounts of data
before, during and after hazardous events. Such data brings better
understanding of the processes that govern the onset of natural hazards,
and allows monitoring of the unfolding of natural hazards, but also results
in abetter understanding of how hazard impacts can compound and cause
cascading consequences. Hence, data science is dramatically changing
natural hazard science. We invite contributions from all aspects of
natural-hazards research applying data science to understand natural hazard
events and hazards that have longer onsets. We welcome papers about studies
that are part of the movement that is changing natural hazard science and
contributing to the explosion of understanding of natural hazards and their
impacts, and contributions that apply data science in new ways to natural
hazards science.

Very Best,

James Neely
Hui Tang