[unav_all] PhD positions in geodesy and natural hazards of Southeast Asia

Emma Hill ehill at ntu.edu.sg
Tue Jun 25 08:14:10 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

I have two fully-funded PhD positions available at the Earth Observatory of Singapore and Asian School of the Environment at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. I would be very grateful if you can pass along the following information to anyone who might be qualified and interested:

I am looking for students with a passion for using geodetic data (e.g., GNSS and InSAR) to understand natural hazards (e.g., earthquakes and/or sea-level rise) in Southeast Asia. Potential projects could also include the use of SAR data for mapping natural disasters (e.g., floods and/or building damage from earthquakes). Students with experience processing GPS or InSAR data, tectonic modeling, and/or machine learning, are particularly encouraged to apply. Strong coding skills (ideally Python and MATLAB) and strong mathematical skills are required. A background in Earth science is preferred.

The Earth Observatory of Singapore was founded with a mission to conduct fundamental research on earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis and climate change in and around Southeast Asia, towards safer and more sustainable societies: https://earthobservatory.sg/

The Asian School of the Environment is an interdisciplinary school that integrates earth and environmental life science, ecology, engineering and technology, human ecology, humanities, and the social sciences to addressing key environmental challenges related to climate change, geohazards, sustainablity and global environmental change, with a focus on Southeast Asia: https://www.ase.ntu.edu.sg/

More information on applying for our PhD program can be found at https://www.ase.ntu.edu.sg/programmes/phd/doctor-philosophy-phd. The application deadline is 31 July 2019 for the Jan 2020 intake, or 31 Jan 2020 for the August 2020 intake. Any interested students (for either intake) should email me asap to chat about their interests and potential projects, at ehill at ntu.edu.sg<mailto:ehill at ntu.edu.sg>.

Best,
Emma

Dr. Emma HILL
Provost’s Chair in Earth Sciences, Nanyang Technological University
Associate Professor / Associate Chair (Research), Asian School of the Environment, NTU.
Principal Investigator in Geodesy, Earth Observatory of Singapore.
Nanyang Technological University, N2-01c-48, 50 Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798
Tel: (65) 6592-1603 (GMT+8h) | Fax: (65) 6790-1585 | email: ehill at ntu.edu.sg<mailto:ehill at ntu.edu.sg>
Web: http://emmahill.squarespace.com<http://emmahill.squarespace.com/> | www.earthobservatory.sg<http://www.earthobservatory.sg>