[unav_all] AGU Session V008. Boom, Zap, and Roar: Multi-disciplinary characterization of volcanic explosion, jet, and plume dynamics

Kathleen McKee kfmckee at carnegiescience.edu
Sun Jun 30 23:55:59 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

We would like to bring your attention to the 2019 AGU Fall Meeting session
entitled, “Boom, Zap, and Roar: Multi-disciplinary characterization of
volcanic explosion, jet, and plume dynamics”. We invite contributions that
explore this topic form a variety of perspectives. Please see below for
more details on the session.

*V008. Boom, Zap, and Roar: Multi-disciplinary characterization of volcanic
explosion, jet, and plume dynamics*
Explosive volcanic eruptions generate highly electrified, multi-phase
momentum-driven fluid flows (jets) that can transform into buoyant plumes.
Understanding the dynamics of these systems is critical for forecasting
eruption behavior and interpreting geophysical and visual observations of
the jets and plumes. Unfortunately, these eruptions present numerous
hazards and the interiors of the jets and plumes are obscured from direct
observation. In this session we welcome submissions that discuss the
dynamics of explosive eruption processes from generation to cessation with
particular foci on processes that occur in the jet and plume, such as how
lightning manifests in a jet or plume, particle concentration gradients and
aggregation, turbulent structures, etc. We are particularly interested in
studies that use field observations (e.g., seismicity, infrasound, gas,
visible, infrared, and UV imagery, lightning, radar, deformation),
laboratory and analog experiments, and/or physics-based modeling.

*Session Conveners: *Kathleen McKee (kfmckee at carnegiescience.edu), Benjamin
James Andrews (andrewsb at si.edu), Mary Benage (mbenage at usgs.gov), and Sonja
Behnke (sbehnke at lanl.gov)

We look forward to reading your abstracts.

Regards,
Kathleen, Ben, Mary, Sonja

--
Kathleen F. McKee