[unav_all] Real-Time NOTA data stream changes

Flesch, Lucy M lmflesch at purdue.edu
Mon Mar 4 00:59:15 UTC 2019

UNAVCO Community Colleagues,

During the October 2018 transition from GAGE1 to GAGE2Y1, NSF EAR core funding was held flat, creating challenges in prioritizing our work going forward.   This situation was complicated by the fact that certain activities that have come to be regarded as “core” have historically been funded through supplements, but have not led to augmentations to core funding.  Thus we are still operating to the $11.4M/year EAR core budget that has been in place for some time.

Nonetheless, community interest has grown in upgrading the Plate Boundary Observatory and related networks to more wide-spread, real-time, operations for a number of reasons.   We are operating from a plan that integrates a subset of PBO, COCONet and TLALOCNet stations into a single Network of the Americas (NOTA), and systematically upgrades that network to GNSS and real-time operations on a resource-available basis.

UNAVCO remains committed to open, no-cost, access for all scientific research applications. However, the economic realities of GAGE2 have forced an upcoming implementation of licensing for the real-time NOTA data streams for commercial users and to non-US research in the absence of a data sharing agreement. Thus we are currently undertaking evaluation of business models that would charge a licensing fee to those users who are realizing income or funding from redistributing NSF-funded data streams. These fees will be reinvested into the continuing support and upgrade of the network.  In lieu of instituting a licensing fee, station upgrade and maintenance will not be possible for portions of the NOTA network.

We wanted to let you know of this development and we will communicate shortly on timelines for implementation of the licensing changes.   Comments can be directed to Lucy Flesch lmflesch at purdue.edu<mailto:lmflesch at purdue.edu> and Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org<mailto:meghan at unavco.org>.

Best Regards,

Meghan Miller, UNAVCO President and Lucy Flesch, Chair, UNAVCO Board of Directors