Call for abstracts EGU 2020: Session: "Seismic and Aseismic Slip on Seismogenic Faults"

Valere Lambert vlambert at caltech.edu
Fri Oct 25 17:53:22 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to our interdisciplinary EGU session
(co-sponsored by AGU), which seeks to deepen our understanding of the
variety of slip behaviour on faults through a diverse set of topics and
methodologies. We hope you will consider submitting an abstract! Please
feel free to share this with anyone else who might be interested.

Deadline for submission: *January 15, 2020*
For *early career scientists* , who want to apply for *EGU Roland Schlich
travel support* (
https://egu2020.eu/about_and_support/roland_schlich_travel_support.html),
the abstract submission deadline is *Sunday, 1 December 2019, 13:00 CET*.

*Session TS5.4/GS9.4/SM2.9** - Seismic and Aseismic Slip on Seismogenic
Faults*
*Invited speakers:* *Chris Marone*, Penn State & *Adriano Gualandi*, Caltech
Tectonic faults accommodate plate motion through various styles of seismic
and aseismic slip spanning a wide range of spatiotemporal scales.
Understanding the mechanics and interplay between seismic rupture and
aseismic slip is central to seismotectonics as it determines the seismic
potential of faults. In particular, unraveling the underlying physics
controlling these styles of deformation bears a great deal in earthquakes
hazards mitigation especially in highly urbanized regions.
In partnership with the AGU Tectonophysics section, we invite contributions
from observational, experimental, geological and theoretical studies that
explore the diversity and interplay among seismic and aseismic slip
phenomena in various tectonic settings, including the following questions:
(1) How does the nature of creeping faults change with the style of
faulting, loading rate, and other factors? (2) Are different slip behaviors
well separated in space, or can the same fault areas experience different
failure modes? (3) Is there a systematic spatial or temporal relation
between different types of slip?

link: https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/session/36283

<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/prelim.cgi/Session/72843>
Kind regards,

Jorge Jara, Ecole Normale Supérieure
Luca Dal Zilio, Caltech
Allie Hutchison, Géoazur
Valère Lambert, Caltech
Sylvain Michel, Ecole Normale Supérieure