COMET Webinar - Matthew Watson - TODAY 10 September 2019 - 16:00 BST (GMT+1)

Daniel Juncu D.Juncu at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Sep 10 09:30:22 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues,

A reminder that the next COMET Webinar is on today:

Dr. Matthew Watson (University of Bristol) will be presenting a talk entitled:

The fatal eruption of Volcan de Fuego, Guatemala – causes, consequences and a brighter future?​

(abstract below)

The webinar will take place on Tuesday the 10th of September 2019 at 16:00 BST (GMT+1).

If you want to attend the webinar please register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qmuiqjtWT5mNJVjG3P9HbQ

We encourage you to watch the webinar together if there are multiple viewers at your institution because the attendance is limited.

Abstract:
The 3rd of June eruption of Volcan de Fuego, Guatemala killed hundreds, if not thousands of Guatemalans living in the town of San Miguel Los Lotes. The disaster is a familiar story of vulnerable and exposed populations being killed by a not unusually high magnitude event. UK academics, many from COMET, responded, and provided critical data that aided in disaster response. I will discuss (i) the causes of the eruption, including a review of recent eruptive activity and some social context; (ii) the ongoing consequences of the eruption and; (iii) where Guatemalan agencies are heading. I will round up with some thoughts about leading the disasters’ charter response and what can and can’t be expected of academics.

All the best,

Daniel Juncu & Fabien Albino

COMET - Centre for the Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Tectonics

https://comet.nerc.ac.uk/<https://twitter.com/nerc_comet?lang=en>

@NERC_COMET<https://twitter.com/nerc_comet?lang=en>