NSF Announcement of Competition of the GAGE Facility

Donna Charlevoix donnac at unavco.org
Wed Feb 5 22:04:45 UTC 2020

UNAVCO Community:

The UNAVCO Board of Directors draws your attention to the Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) on the “Competition of Operations of an NSF-supported Geophysical Facility to Succeed the GAGE and SAGE Facilities” issued by NSF on January 23rd (https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2020/nsf20037/nsf20037.jsp).

This DCL outlines NSF’s plans for an open recompetition of the management of the GAGE and SAGE facilities and its expectation that this process will result in a single, integrated facility managed by a single entity at the end of the current cooperative agreements on September 30, 2023. NSF plans to issue a solicitation for this new facility in the second quarter of calendar year 2021 with a due date for full proposals in the first quarter of 2022.

As you will recall, the UNAVCO and IRIS boards have formed a joint Negotiating Committee. This committee is working together to advise the two Boards on best strategies towards integrating our two consortia and communities in an effective and timely manner so that we may respond to the 2021 solicitation with a community-led proposal. Please watch for a communication on the progress of the Negotiating Committee.

NSF is additionally encouraging comments from the community on desired capabilities, and associated rationales, for this future facility. Comments should be submitted as a pdf document not to exceed 3 pages in length and sent to Maggie Benoit at earfacilities at nsf.gov.

We strongly encourage you as stakeholders of the facility to provide input and submit such white papers to NSF. The deadline for submission of these white papers is June 1, 2020.

Best,
Lucy Flesch, UNAVCO Board of Directors