New FAA drone rule proposal: be informed and comment

Nicolas Barth nic.barth at ucr.edu
Thu Feb 27 01:00:40 UTC 2020

Colleagues,

As you may or may not be aware the FAA is proposing radical changes to
their rules governing small unmanned aerial systems (sUAS, aka "drones")
that will likely have a considerable effect on drone use in research and
teaching. The deadline for submitting public comment on the changes is
March 2nd so I would encourage you to inform yourselves of the proposed
changes and submit a public comment if you feel compelled.

In a nutshell, the FAA is proposing that virtually all drones must
broadcast their location and ID directly from the sUAS, and to transmit the
same information to the FAA's location tracking system via internet
connection. This would (1) instantly ground all existing drones not
internet equipped and (2) require a monthly service subscription charge. It
is unclear to me at least what the impact would be on drone flights in
locations with poor or nonexistent cellular service. DJI and other drone
manufacturers are pushing for Remote ID through radio broadcast technology
that is already built in and demonstrated to be effective, free, automatic,
and requires no service-provider middlemen.

You can read the full FAA proposed rule here ("Comment Now!" in top right
before March 2):
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=FAA-2019-1100-0001

Here is a commentary by DJI:
https://content.dji.com/we-strongly-support-drone-remote-id-but-not-like-this/