AGU session proposal On Earthquake Precursors

Patricia Martínez-Garzón patricia at gfz-potsdam.de
Wed Jul 1 07:38:57 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues,

We hope that you are doing well in these strange times.

AGU is maintaining the Fall Meeting (December, 7^th to 11^th ), and this
year is offering an online version of it. We would like to cordially
invite you to submit an abstract to the session that we are organizing.
It focuses on earthquake precursors, aiming to discuss their possible
existence, their eventual physical origin, and their statistical
significance in geophysical data both at the laboratory, reservoir and
field scales.

You can submit abstracts until *July****2**9*^*th* *at 23:59 EDT/03:59
+1 GMT*:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm20/meetingapp.cgi/Session/104697

_*Session Details:*_

/*On earthquake precursors*/

Laboratory and theoretical studies suggest that critical failure of
geomaterials is predictable. At the field scale, it is not clear if it
applies to earthquakes, with only some being preceded by an increase of
seismic activity and slip. Furthermore, the processes driving this
earthquake preparation are still highly debated, with either a random
cascade triggering or an aseismic transient process leading to the
mainshock. How can we dig more into the nucleation phase of earthquakes?
Can we determine if earthquakes are a predictable phenomenon? Moreover,
these pre-mainshock observations mainly concern large/moderate thrust or
strike-slip interplate earthquakes. What about intraplate and normal faults?

We invite abstracts spanning from novel instruments and network
development to time series analysis and data mining. The goal is to
discuss the physics and statistics of precursory signals in geophysical
data both at the laboratory and natural scales.

*Confirmed invited speaker* is *Yehuda Ben-Zion* (University of Southern
California) who will present pre-earthquake seismicity analysis using
new observation technics.

We look forward to receiving your contributions!

Sincerely yours, session conveners,

Virginie Durand (GFZ, vdurand at gfz-potsdam.de)

Adriano Gualandi (adriano.geolandi at gmail.com)

Patricia Martínez-Garzón (GFZ, patricia at gfz-potsdam.de)

--
Dr. Patricia Martínez-Garzón
Section 4.2: Geomechanics and Scientific Drilling