AGU session: SY044 - The Human Dimension: Social Science, Communication, Education, and Outreach of Earthquake Early Warning Systems Worldwide

Shelley Olds olds at unavco.org
Wed Jul 15 15:20:20 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues,

AGU is offering the 2020 Fall Meeting (December 7-11th), as an online Virtual
Conference this year. We would like to draw your attention and request that
you submit an abstract to our multidisciplinary AGU session in the Science
and Society section, and co-sponsored by Natural Hazards and Education.
Because this session is in Science and Society, you can submit a
first-authored abstract here and to another session, respectively.

SY044 - The Human Dimension: Social Science, Communication, Education, and
Outreach of Earthquake Early Warning Systems Worldwide
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm20/prelim.cgi/Session/105126>

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm20/prelim.cgi/Session/105126

Session Description:

Mexico City launched the first earthquake early warning (EEW) system in
1991 to alert people of impending earthquake shaking. Over the past thirty
years, Japan, Taiwan, and others implemented EEW, while Canada is currently
building their own system. After a decade in development, the ShakeAlert®
System commenced testing of public alert delivery throughout California.
Oregon and Washington plan to begin public testing in 2021. Human
dimensions work in concert with the technical and scientific aspects to
make EEW a success. As the ShakeAlert® system evolves operationally in the
delivery of alerts, successful human interaction with the system will be
critical to its effectiveness. This session explores compelling social
science questions about how people can best use EEW to mitigate risk, what
we know about people’s experience with EEW, development of warning messages
encouraging protective actions, and what actions are taken in response. We
also seek science communication, education, and outreach case studies about
EEW worldwide.

We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for considering this
opportunity to share your research and science application insights.
Apologies for multiple postings of this email, as we are seeking to
distribute the announcement broadly to reach as many disciplines as
appropriate. Finally, if you have questions about our session, please do
not “reply all”, rather send your questions to the conveners listed below.

Regards,

Shelley E Olds, UNAVCO/ University of Nebraska Lincoln;

Robert M deGroot, United States Geological Survey - Earthquake Science
Center;

Sara McBride, U.S. Geological Survey;

Cynthia L Pridmore, California Geological Survey Sacramento

PS:If you are not a member of AGU, you can join at:
https://membership.agu.org/join-renew/. The deadline is July 29, 2020.
Authors will be informed in September regarding the date and format (oral
or poster) of their presentation.

~~~~^~~~~
Shelley Olds  (she|her|hers)
UNAVCO Education & Community Engagement