AGU Fall 2020: Plate Motion, Continental Deformation, and Interseismic Strain Accumulation

Rui Fernandes rui at segal.ubi.pt
Wed Jul 15 16:02:35 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues,

(our apologies for multi-posting and we appreciate if you distribute among your
colleagues)

We would like to drawn your attention for the following Geodesy session of 2020
Fall Meeting (December 7-11th), that will be done virtually.

*Plate Motion, Continental Deformation, and Interseismic Strain Accumulation*/
////
//We seek studies examining the take up of plate motion in deforming zones and
the buildup and release of elastic strain along major faults and in subduction
zones using space geodetic measurements, geologic observations, and geophysical
data such as seismicity, marine magnetic anomalies, and transform fault
azimuths. How can GPS and InSAR be integrated to determine deformation in plate
boundary zones?//
//To what extent can observed elastic strain buildup and past earthquakes be
used to infer the likelihood of future earthquakes?  Are fault slip rates from
paleoseismology identical to those from geodetic data?  What fraction of plate
motion is taken up by fault slip during earthquakes, and what fraction becomes
part of distributed deformation off the major faults?  How fast are mountains
currently rising?  To what degree do postseismic transients alter the nearly
constant velocity of the plates, and how can postseismic transients influence
the definition of Earth's reference frame?//
///
On behalf of Sarah, Donald, Jeff and

--
*

*/Rui Fernandes/*

*/Assistant Professor at UBI - University of Beira Interior/*

*/Coordinator of SEGAL (UBI/IDL) - Space & Earth Geodetic Analysis Laboratory/*

*/Coordinator of C4G - Collaboratory for Geosciences/*

*/WhatsApp: +351 919999300/*

*/Skype: r.m.s.fernandes/*

*