SMURF/StRATEGy Seminar - Andean Tectonics and Dynamics

Jonathan Weiss jonathan.weiss at uni-potsdam.de
Tue Jul 21 06:05:39 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to invite you to join us for an upcoming webinar via Zoom
<https://uni-potsdam.zoom.us/j/98938583498> on Thursday, July 30 at
14:00 CEST.

Dr. Sam Wimpenny <https://www.esc.cam.ac.uk/directory/samuel-wimpenny>
from the University of Cambridge will share some of his recent research
in a talk entitled:

*Active Tectonics and Dynamics of the Andes Mountains*

*Abstract:* I’ll present a range of new observations from field work,
remote sensing, seismology, radar geodesy, potential field data and
numerical modelling to investigate the kinematics of active deformation
in the Andes, and the forces driving this deformation. I will use
observations of faulting and simple physical arguments to place bounds
on the force balance in the south Peruvian Altiplano, discuss how this
force balance might have changed to account for the temporal evolution
of deformation over the last ~5-10 Ma, and speculate about the
implications the force balance has for the strength of seismogenic,
lower-crustal fault zones. To finish, I’ll discuss how active
deformation in the Andes compares to other global mountain ranges.

Please see login details below and forward this email to anyone that
might be interested.

Topic: SMURF/StRATEGy <http://irtg-strategy.de/en/> Seminar - Andean
Tectonics & Dynamics
Time: Jul 30, 2020 01:45 PM Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna

Join Zoom Meeting
https://uni-potsdam.zoom.us/j/98938583498

Meeting ID: 989 3858 3498
Passcode: 11102016