Job Opportunity: PostgreSQL Database Administrator
donnac at unavco.org
Tue Oct 6 18:46:12 UTC 2020
*PostgreSQL Database Administrator*
*IRIS Data Services*
The Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology (IRIS) seeks an
experienced Database Administrator (DBA) at the IRIS Data Management Center
(DMC) in Seattle, Washington. This is an excellent opportunity for a
motivated self-starter to be part of an international seismological data
center. Our center is responsible for archival and dissemination of
large-scale geophysical datasets to the geoscience research community.
This position independently maintains and administers 10+ terabyte
replicated production and testbed databases. In addition to administering
our existing databases, we are looking for a candidate who is adept at
cloud database design and implementation for a planned integration with
another geophysical data center and migration to a common cloud
environment. We offer competitive salaries, an excellent benefits package
and a terrific work atmosphere. Remote telework option is available.
*ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Proactively identify, troubleshoot and resolve database issues
- Plan and perform PostgreSQL installations, configurations and upgrades
- Create solutions to increase scalability, speed, and resilience of
database transactions to carry out a wide array of data-intensive operations
- Develop and implement monitoring and reporting for
- Interface with software developers to support database persistence
- Design and implement robust database solutions for a new cloud-based
- Develop and maintain DBA procedure documentation
*EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS*
- A four-year degree in Information Science, Computer Science, Earth
Science, or related technical field.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in database administration with
demonstrated achievement on specific projects or tasks, such as
partitioning, upgrades, and optimization.
*KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, and ABILITY REQUIREMENTS*
- Hands-on, in-depth experience with PostgreSQL, including database
design, installation, configuration, upgrade, replication and development
and implementation of backup strategies
- Extensive SQL knowledge including query optimization
- Experience with running database in a cloud or virtualized environment
- Strong written documentation skills.
- Strong communication skills with team members and end users.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills in order to meet
deadlines in addition to working collaboratively with coworkers
- Ability to quickly reprioritize objectives independently and
- Excellent attention to detail
- Expertise working with technical and scientific data is a plus.
Candidates should submit a letter of interest and a resume highlighting
pertinent work experience by October 16, 2020 to job at iris.washington.edu with
the subject line "IRIS DBA".
The IRIS Consortium has a membership of over 120 US universities dedicated
to the operation of science facilities for the acquisition, management, and
distribution of seismological data. For more information on IRIS, consult
IRIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe a diverse staff makes us
a stronger organization. IRIS is committed to hiring people of all ages,
races, ethnicities, genders (except where sex is a bona fide occupational
qualification), sexual orientation or gender identities, marital status,
veteran status, religions and disabilities. All qualified candidates are
encouraged to apply.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the unav_all