Communication Associate Posting
tangye at unavco.org
Thu Oct 15 16:53:18 UTC 2020
*Tracking Code **1**89-532*
UNAVCO is seeking a creative, motivated individual to lead daily and str
ategic communications for UNAVCO. The *Communications Associate’s *primary
responsibility will be to lead community communications and informal
education and outreach efforts for UNAVCO, a science-support organization.
The successful candidate will be an individual with exceptional comm
unication skills and experience with science writing for non-science
audiences, developing press releases, maintaining a public web presence, and
managing multiple social media channels. The individual will have knowledge
of geosciences and also will have experience working with multimedia in the
Earth sciences for informal education and outreach. This position is a part
of the Education and Community Engagement (ECE) program and will also work
closely with the UNAVCO President on corporate communications.
UNAVCO is currently in a work-from-home model. We anticipate this position w
ould continue as a telecommute position with up to quarterly travel for team
The Communications Associate position reports to the ECE Program Director,
interacts and collaborates with peers and colleagues across the
organization. The incumbent will collaborate with UNAVCO Community members
on projects and products within specified requirements on a daily basis.
They will respond and report to stakeholders on project results.
*Essential Job Functions*
*Corporate Communications (30%)*
- Responsible for implementation of communications strategy; assist with
the development of annual communication implementation plans.
- Write news items for broad distribution; examples of news items include
community announcements, features of science discoveries, and highlights
of UNAVCO staff activities
- Write press releases
- Represent UNAVCO in local outreach opportunities
* Outreach and Positioning (70%) *
- Responsible for contributing dynamic and vibrant content to
- Assist with geophysical event response by creating public facing web
pages and communicating the science and support response to the scientific
and lay audience.
- Manage social media channels; distribute geoscience information through
social media to engage a broad audience in geodesy/geoscience applic
ations and career possibilities.
- Coordinate outreach efforts in exhibition halls at scientific
- Collaborate with partner organizations to promote better public unders
tanding of geodetic science and geophysics.
- Work internally across programs to develop and revise outreach material
s for stakeholders.
- Lead efforts to translate materials into Spanish and other languages as
- Contribute to videos, animations and other digital content featuring g
eodesy and related geophysical concepts.
- Maintain photo and video asset repository.
- Present at scientific and education meetings.
- Assist with managing branding documentation and ensuring brand
standards are met and used by staff
- Other duties may be assigned as necessary for the successful operation
of the business.
Bachelor’s degree in geoscience, geology, or related field with a minimum of
two (2) years of experience working in communication or science communicati
*Desired Education, Experience, Skills and Knowledge*
- Masters in a Geoscience discipline with experience in secondary / coll
ege science classroom, professional development, or in informal educati
- Graphic design
- Video production
- Scientifically literate in geosciences and geodetic science
- Familiarity and experience with communications technologies in the ar
eas of print graphics, web design and content, audio-visual presentation
equipment, exhibition materials, or evolving social networks.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed above
are representative of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required and are not
intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or
qualifications associated with this position.
*To view the full posting and submit an application, visit UNAVCO’s career
website at https://unavcocareers.silkroad.com
*APPLICATION MATERIALS MUST INCLUDE:*
1. Cover Letter outlining your specific experience with and interest in t
2. Complete resume;
3. 3-5 writing samples; and
4. Names and contact information for at least three (3) professional ref
*Incomplete applications will not be considered. **Review of applications
will begin November 2, 2020, and will continue until the position is
UNAVCO offers very competitive benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision,
Life, Disability, Supplemental Benefits, 4 weeks Paid Time Off (PTO), and a
retirement plan with a 10% employer contribution.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for work authorization within the
United States. UNAVCO is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative ac
tion employer. Our long-term success depends on the development of a forward
-looking, diversified workforce. UNAVCO values diverse perspectives and b
ackgrounds in all positions within the organization and is fully committed t
o achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and State laws,
and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. UNAVCO
encourages applications from candidates who are members of historically unde
rrepresented groups. This includes candidates from different socioeconomic
backgrounds, candidates with disabilities, candidates with unique life
experiences, etc. Women, Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities and members
of the BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ communities are encouraged to apply. All
complete applications will be considered. Individuals with a disability need
ing an accommodation as part of the employment selection process should
contact HR at unavco.org or 303.381.7515.
UNAVCO supports a safe work environment for all staff. As part of our
commitment, UNAVCO conducts background checks. Background checks will vary
and are based on position requirements.
Human Resources Administrator
6350 Nautilus Drive
Boulder CO 80301
tangye at unavco.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the unav_all