SZ4D Int'l Webinar by Emma Hill (EOS) on Sumatra Geodesy - Thursday 4/8 (tomorrow), 4 pm

Harold J Tobin htobin at uw.edu
Wed Apr 7 16:01:40 UTC 2021

All are invtied to join us for the next SZ4D International Webinar:(note
the Thursday at 4 pm Pacific time)

Geodetic and paleogeodetic studies along the Sumatran subduction zone

Emma Hill - Earth Observatory of Singapore and Asian School of the
Environment,

Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

April 8th, 2021 at 4 PM PDT

Zoom Webinar
Register Now ⟶
<https://washington.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAtd-GuqTwjHNZiFUso8YC7Eb6VG0OeiVff>

https://washington.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAtd-GuqTwjHNZiFUso8YC7Eb6VG0OeiVff

Since 2004, the Sumatra subduction zone has been one of the most active on
the planet, generating 30 moderate to great earthquakes (including four Mw
≥ 8) that produced complex patterns of postseismic deformation. All these
events were recorded by the Sumatran GPS Array (SuGAr). In this talk, we
will present some of the things we’ve learned from studying nearly two
decades of SuGAR data. We will also discuss how these results fit into
long-term behavior along the subduction zone as inferred from paleogeodetic
observations from corals. We’ll talk about the varied slip behavior we see
at persistent barriers to great earthquake ruptures, 15-32-year-long slow
slip events, tsunami earthquakes, and more! We’ll also highlight the
utility of GNSS networks for climate and sea-level studies in addition to
tectonics.