Annual meeting follow-up

Rebecca Bendick bendick at unavco.org
Wed Dec 1 19:00:02 UTC 2021

Dear Community:

First, thank you to each and every one of you for being part of the rich and vibrant community that we celebrated today in our joint IRIS-UNAVCO Annual Meeting.  We deeply regret that we were all exposed to hurtful and malicious hate speech by an intruder who attacked the video and audio controls of our Zoom meeting. The hate speech the intruder(s) displayed was shocking and upsetting. We did the best we could to neutralize the intrusion as fast as possible, and we are now working with Zoom’s security team in their investigation of this attack.  We are also revising our security protocols for large Zoom events with the goal of preventing an incident like this from ever happening again.

As a result of this attack some of you missed portions of the meeting. We apologize for this.  You can review the master slide deck here <https://www.unavco.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/joint_annual_meeting_slides_share.pdf>, and a cleaned and edited recording here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipiQQlH_X9o>.  As always, you can get updates and information on the IRIS-UNAVCO merger via the Joining Forces website, here <https://sites.google.com/iris.edu/united/home>.

We miss you all and hope to see you in person in 2022.

Becks, Bob, Ronni, and Rick
Rebecca Bendick
bendick at unavco.org