COMET Webinar - Christopher Jackson - 14th July 16:00UK time

Chris Rollins J.C.Rollins at leeds.ac.uk
Sun Jul 4 23:58:52 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

COMET (The Centre for Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and Tectonics) invites you to the next instalment of our webinar series, viewable from the home office.

Coming up:

Ground deformation above inflating igneous sills in sedimentary basins; a perspective from 3D seismic reflection data

Professor Christopher Jackson (University of Manchester)

Wednesday the 14th of July 2021 at 16:00 UK time (BST) / 5pm CEST / 8am Pacific USA

Please register at: https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_zE-bWkSYSM-GVt7_2aOAYw

(After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information on how to join the webinar)

Abstract:

Volcanoes are hot, loud, and scary, thus we know little of their internal structure or underlying 'plumbing systems', which typically comprise a complex network of dykes and sills. Understanding the processes and products of magma intrusion in the Earth's crust, and the extrusion of this material on its surface, is important, given crustal magmatism can represent a natural hazard. In this talk I will show how 3D seismic reflection data can illuminate the structure and emplacement mechanics of these 'hot rocks'.

Best wishes,

Tamarah King & Chris Rollins

COMET - Centre for the Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Tectonics

https://comet.nerc.ac.uk/

Twitter: @NERC_COMET

COMET webinars on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtFDytX1hgjvlS4NH48M2oQ

Chris Rollins

School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds