FW: PhD opportunities in rapid EQ/tsunami response

Elisabetta D'Anastasio E.Danastasio at gns.cri.nz
Thu Jul 22 02:59:36 UTC 2021

Hello,

Can I please ask to distribute this email to the Unavco mailing list?

Thanks in advance,

Elisabetta

Details can be found at: http://www.earthworks-jobs.com/seismo/otago21071.html

########

The Geology Department of the University of Otago is seeking highly motivated PhD students to undertake research projects in computational geophysics. The candidates will join a large New Zealand government-funded research programme aimed at improving scientific advice provided to decision makers during and after large earthquakes and tsunamis. The projects will broadly address rapid characterisation of large earthquakes and their associated perils including tsunamis and strong ground motion, through the analysis of seismic and ocean pressure data.

Available projects include: 1) tsunami early warning, 2) seismic imaging of large earthquakes, 3) improvements in earthquake magnitude determination, 4) exploration of earthquake energy release, and 5) broadband modelling of the seismic wavefield.

The University of Otago is a premier research university situated in Dunedin, New Zealand, under the Aurora Australis. The city hosts a lively university culture and is proximal to world-class natural escapes. The candidates will work closely with GNS Science (national geohazards science institute with offices in Wellington and Dunedin) and several international research institutes and universities.

Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD programme at the University of Otago (see https://www.otago.ac.nz/graduate-research/prospective-students/otago662232.html).

Applications should include a single pdf file comprising a current CV, contact details of 3 references, and a copy of academic transcripts.

Please submit the application in duplication to andrew.gorman at otago.ac.nz<mailto:andrew.gorman at otago.ac.nz> and B.fry at gns.cri.nz<mailto:B.fry at gns.cri.nz>.

We recognise the current immigration challenges posed by Covid-19 and anticipate rolling start dates between August 2021 and July 2022 based on candidate availability and visa requirements.

Applicants from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in the sciences are encouraged to apply.

Elisabetta D’Anastasio I Science Operations Technical Lead
Science Operations and Data team I Ngā Mahi me te Raraunga Pūtaiao
Data Science and Geohazards Monitoring Department
GNS Science I Te Pῡ Ao
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon 5010, PO Box 30368, Lower Hutt 5040, New Zealand
Ph +64 (0) 4 570 4744 I Mob +64 (02) 27 6655 890
http://www.geonet.org.nz/<http://www.gns.cri.nz/> I Email: e.danastasio at gns.cri.nz<mailto:e.danastasio at gns.cri.nz>

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential and may not be used, published or redistributed without the prior written consent of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Limited (GNS Science). If received in error please destroy and immediately notify GNS Science. Do not copy or disclose the contents.