Project Manager III – Data Operations Manager
tangye at unavco.org
Wed Jul 28 22:37:57 UTC 2021
UNAVCO, Inc. is accepting applications for a Project Manager III – Data
Tracking Code: 220-532
*Application Process:* Applications will only be accepted via UNAVCO's
career website at https://www.unavco.org/careers/. Review of applications
will begin *August 23, 2021 *and will continue until the position is filled
*Application Materials: *Applicants must provide a cover letter and updated
resume. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
*Location:* UNAVCO supports a robust remote work environment, while this
position is nominally based in Boulder, CO., remote work options are
available and allowable.
*Salary range* $96,086 - $148,934 is within the established UNAVCO salary
structure and will be based on the candidate's qualifications.
*Benefits:* UNAVCO offers very competitive benefits including Medical,
Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, Supplemental Benefits, 4 weeks Paid Time
Off (PTO), and a retirement plan with a 10% employer contribution.
*Where You Will Work: *
UNAVCO maintains and operates the Geodetic Facility for the Advancement of
Geoscience (GAGE) which provides support to the NSF investigator community
for geodesy, Earth Sciences research, education and workforce development
with broad societal benefits. As part of GAGE, UNAVCO operates a large
network of geodetic instruments (primarily GNSS) and a world class data
facility and archive which provides cyber infrastructure to support the
full data life cycle and interoperability with national and international
Earth Science Data Centers.
For over three decades, UNAVCO has spearheaded the utilization of
cutting-edge technologies in support of geodesy while providing robust
operational support for researchers exploring the solid Earth (earthquakes,
volcanoes, plate tectonics), the hydrosphere (deformation of ice, the
Earth's response to groundwater, sea level change), and the atmosphere. Our
instrumentation toolbox includes high-precision GPS, LiDAR, TLS, optical
imagery, InSAR, and more.
You will be working in the Geodetic Data Services group, we call it GDS for
short. We are a small highly collaborative group. We collaborate with
scientists and engineers to gather metadata and data, store it, send it off
for processing and then provide tools for users to retrieve and view the
data. We also answer custom data requests to help our community achieve
their science goals. The earth does not stop moving for reboots or
maintenance, data just keeps coming and so we build software to keep things
Our long-term success depends on development of a forward-looking,
diversified workforce that draws on and cultivates talent across the
demographic spectrum of gender and ethnicity, across international
boundaries, and across scientific disciplines.
*What You Will Do:*
The UNAVCO Data Operations Manager provides support for cloud-based data
collection, data QC, data archiving, data distribution, data product
generation and operations for UNAVCO and the GAGE facility, this position
will also support UNAVCO’s continuing transition to a cloud native
architecture and the normalization of the NOTA network to high-rate, low
latency applications like the USGS ShakeAlert program. These activities
support the next generation of geodetic applications from the study of
plate tectonics and earthquakes to real-time precise vehicle navigation and
*Essential Job Functions:*
- Oversees all aspects (Planning, Controlling, Executing, Reporting and
Closing) of assigned complex project(s). Works with project team members
and stakeholders to define project requirements: define project scope,
budget, schedule and personnel requirements.
- Takes lead role in identifying funding sources and participates in
writing project proposals and developing statements of work for complex
- Where appropriate, manages subcontracts and/or subawards.
- Where appropriate, collaborates with Business Affairs staff to write
relevant technical portions of contracts.
- Develops and implements mechanisms for monitoring and forecasting
project progress and for intervention and problem solving with project
members, managers and sponsors.
- Leads the effort to develop the baseline risk management and
mitigation strategy for the project, implementing the strategy and
monitoring and reporting on risk status to project stakeholders. Updates
risk management/mitigation strategy during the course of the project.
- Puts project management including risk, scope, schedule and budget
issues into the larger organizational context.
- Schedules project team meetings as appropriate.
- Serves as the primary point of contact (spokesperson) for projects and
represents the project to the organization, sponsors, and the public.
- Leads and sets organizational standards for performance/project
analysis and lessons learned for future projects.
- Provides written reports to the Director on a regular basis, but no
less frequently than quarterly. Provides regular and ad hoc reports on the
performance and trends of projects or functions managed.
- Negotiates/Executes project budget and schedule with input and
oversight from the appropriate Director. Responsible for ensuring schedule
and cost performance of projects.
- Ensures all necessary reviews and approvals are received.
- Responsible for the development of project documentation and meeting
all required sponsor deadlines.
- Provides and sets standards for regular project status reports
including quarterly, yearly and end of project reports.
- May work with funding agencies to assure scope and budget compliance
in close coordination with the Director.
- May have authority, with prior approval of the Director, as point of
contact for assigned awards and scope. Reporting to sponsors on progress,
solving operational problems and maintaining lines of communication.
- May interact with UNAVCO board of directors relative to programs or
projects managed and is an alternative resource for the board for
*Supervision and Leadership:*
The Data Operations Manager will have advanced technical expertise in
assigned project areas and may be called upon to perform hands-on project
work. The incumbent works with general direction only. The incumbent will
supervise a team of three to ten software engineers and data
scientists/engineers who provide support for cloud based data collection,
data QC, data archiving, data distribution, data product generation and
operations for UNAVCO and the GAGE facility. This position reports to the
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability for the position.
*Applicable Skills/Core Competencies:*
- Strong project management and technical skills.
- People management skills and experience.
- Understanding of modern cloud-based infrastructure.
- Ability to initiate and drive relevant policies and procedures that
align with UNAVCO’s operating standards and mission.
- Work generally involves a modest degree of external visibility and
- Ability to manage multiple, large, or complex projects in a
- Strategic outlook and ability to see the bigger picture and conceive
of creative ideas to help grow programs.
- Ability to lead by motivating, developing, and directing people as
they work. Build talent within UNAVCO and serve as a mentor to engineering
- Ability to serve as a primary point of contact for all members of
staff, including the President, Directors, etc. for program(s) or
- Coalition building skills with an ability to reach across
organizational lines and build relationships and programs with a variety of
internal and external stakeholders to build strategic partnerships.
- Ability to serve as an intermediary between staff and PIs and to relay
- Independently mitigate issues and work with the GDS Director and HR
- Ability to maintain full responsibility of projects and to identify,
respond to, and adjust project scope and funding due to project concerns in
the field and otherwise.
- Ability to identify and resolve complex problems, evaluate options,
and implement creative and innovative solutions
- Ability to present technical data and reports to senior management,
NSF, and the broader UNAVCO community.
- Deep understanding of budgeting and forecasting best practices.
Familiarity with statements of work, proposal writing, and basic business
- Knowledge of federal grant requirements including procurement
standards and allowable costs and be able to transfer that knowledge to
- Strong interpersonal skills and a collaborative approach with peers
and team members.
- Ability to communicate effectively in speaking and writing as
appropriate for the needs of the audience.
*What You Need: *
- A PhD, or equivalent experience, in engineering, geosciences, computer
science or related field with a total of six (6) years relevant experience.
Including three (3) or more year’s equivalent to a project manager, senior
software engineer or time as faculty at an accredited four year institution.
- Technical project management skills and experience.
- People management skills and experience.
- Deep understanding of modern cloud-based infrastructure.
- Working knowledge of modern dev-ops methodologies.
- Working knowledge of commercial cloud-based service providers.
- Working knowledge of modern deployment technologies (e.g. Docker).
We are unable to provide sponsorship for work authorization within the
UNAVCO is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action
employer. Our long-term success depends on the development of a
forward-looking, diversified workforce. UNAVCO values diverse perspectives
and backgrounds in all positions within the organization and is fully
committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal
and State laws, and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative
action. UNAVCO encourages applications from candidates who are members of
historically underrepresented groups. This includes candidates from
different socioeconomic backgrounds, candidates with disabilities,
candidates with unique life experiences, etc. Women, Veterans, Individuals
with Disabilities and members of the BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ communities are
encouraged to apply. All qualified and complete applications will be
considered. Individuals with a disability needing an accommodation as part
of the employment selection process should contact HR at unavco.org or
UNAVCO supports a safe work environment for all staff. As part of our
commitment, UNAVCO conducts background checks. Background checks will vary
and are based on position requirements. Background checks may include but
are not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle
history, financial history and/or education verification. Background checks
may also be conducted when required by law or when at the discretion of
UNAVCO is reasonable and prudent to do so. UNAVCO complies with the Fair
Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
Human Resources Manager
6350 Nautilus Drive
Boulder CO 80301
tangye at unavco.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the unav_all