Post-doctoral opportunity - USGS

Melissa Weber weber at unavco.org
Thu Nov 4 14:43:01 UTC 2021

USGS Mendenhall Research Fellowship Program

Fire, floods, and drought: Advancing assessment and prediction of extreme event impacts on water quality

Extreme hydrologic events, such as wildfires, floods, and droughts, can cause substantial water-quality impairment with disruptive and costly implications for water availability. These events can result in water-quality impairment, depletion or sedimentation of reservoirs, and impaired water-treatment efficiency. Large gaps exist in our ability to assess and predict water-quality responses to extreme hydrologic events. We seek new ideas and approaches for addressing major science gaps in extreme event impacts under the Mendenhall opportunity. Proposed work could include some combination of approaches, including field investigation, trend and driver analyses, and model development/application to (1) quantify short- and long-term effects of extreme hydrologic events on streamflow and water quality and (2) identify and quantify factors and processes controlling water-quality responses. Research endeavors should be designed with an eye toward predictive capability extensible to regional or national scales, and is expected to leverage USGS assets in data collection, assessment, and prediction of water quality. We encourage applicants to reach out to the research advisors during the proposal formulation/writing process with questions regarding the scope and methodologies for the research opportunity.

Proposed Duty Station: Boulder, CO

Closing Date: January 6, 2022

Start date: Between July 2022 and March 2023

More information on this specific opportunity:
https://www.usgs.gov/centers/mendenhall/20-5-fire-floods-and-drought-advancing-assessment-and-prediction-extreme-event <https://www.usgs.gov/centers/mendenhall/20-5-fire-floods-and-drought-advancing-assessment-and-prediction-extreme-event>
How to apply:

https://www.usgs.gov/centers/mendenhall/when-and-how-apply <https://www.usgs.gov/centers/mendenhall/when-and-how-apply>

Application link:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/582067300 <https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/582067300>

Sent on behalf  of
Sheila Murphy
Research Hydrologist
USGS Water Resources Mission Area
3215 Marine St. Suite E-127
Boulder, CO 80305
(303) 541-3023
Professional Page <https://www.usgs.gov/staff-profiles/sheila-murphy>
Google Scholar page <https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=VwDvSgYAAAAJ>
 I use she/her pronouns

Thank you,
Melissa Weber
Community Engagemet Coordinator (she/her)
UNAVCO, Inc.
Ph: 303-381-7562
Fax: 303-381-7501
weber at unavco.org