COMET Webinar: Dr Camilla Penney, University of Cambridge, Wed 17th November, 4PM UK time

Tamarah King tamarah.king at earth.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 4 15:03:30 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

COMET (The Centre for Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and Tectonics) invites you to the next instalment of our COMET webinar series, viewable from the home office.

Imagining earthquakes: the role of qualitative data in seismic risk analysis
Wednesday 17th November 2021 4pm UK time (4pm UTC / 5pm CEST / 8am PDT)

Dr Camilla Penney

University of Cambridge

Please register at:  https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_1NfXiTGWR7ysSaGTLqSrkg

(After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information on how to join the webinar)

Abstract:
The mantra "earthquakes don't kill people, buildings do" is deeply ingrained in the psyche of many geophysicists. Yet this saying represents just a glimpse of a much wider issue; earthquakes only become disasters with they interact with human societies and infrastructure. Preventing earthquakes from becoming disasters is therefore a problem which extends far beyond geophysics.

This talk will explore some ways in which different disciplinary perspectives on earthquakes, and the social contexts in which they occur, might be used to extend our understanding of potential earthquake disasters beyond the historical record, and incorporate qualitative, as well as quantitative data, into seismic risk analysis. In particular, we will discuss a newly developed method in risk studies / horizon scanning called downward counterfactual analysis, in which a historic disaster, in this case the 365CE Cretan earthquake and tsunami, is made progressively 'worse'.

Catch up on past COMET and COMET+ webinars on our YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtFDytX1hgjvlS4NH48M2oQ/videos

Best wishes,

Tamarah King & Chris Rollins

COMET - Centre for the Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Tectonics

https://comet.nerc.ac.uk/

@NERC_COMET<https://twitter.com/nerc_comet?lang=en>