Subduction megathrust research graduate student opportunities available

Laura Wallace l.wallace at gns.cri.nz
Tue Oct 5 20:59:17 UTC 2021

Dear all,

I'd like to alert you to PhD student opportunities available as part of a recently funded project.  We are currently seeking graduate students for appointments at The University of Texas, the University of California, San Diego, and Indiana University Bloomington as part of the Megathrust Modeling Framework (MTMOD) project. This collaborative effort seeks to integrate seismological, geodetic, experimental, and geological constraints for the Japan, New Zealand and Japan natural laboratories into numerical models to advance our understanding of megathrust earthquakes.

Forward models and a new numerical modeling framework for data assimilation will be developed to get closer to versatile tools for data-driven, physics-based hazard assessment. The focus is on the evolution of fault stress and strength over a range of spatio-temporal scales, quantifying uncertainties and sensitivity to parameters.

While graduate students will work with dedicated advisors at one of our partner institutions, MTMOD will support exchange between groups, and we intend to foster close collaborations between all team members. Another focus of our effort will be on training and sharing material for computational geoscience, based on collaboration with experts from the Jackson School of Geosciences and the Texas Advanced Computing Center. Project participants will work toward sustainable pathways for participation and work to enhance representation and inclusion in the geosciences by providing new entry pathways based on modeling and remote sensing to complement field-based approaches.

Visit the MTMOD website: https://sites.utexas.edu/mtmod/ for more project details, potential advisers, contact information.  Feel free to contact project leader Thorsten Becker at twb at ig.utexas.edu with any other questions. Admission is for Fall 2022, with application deadlines around December 2021, depending on the host institution.
Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential and may not be used, published or redistributed without the prior written consent of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Limited (GNS Science). If received in error please destroy and immediately notify GNS Science. Do not copy or disclose the contents.