GeoNet GNSS data repository: migration from FTP to HTTPs

Elisabetta D'Anastasio E.Danastasio at gns.cri.nz
Thu Sep 2 03:35:58 UTC 2021

Dear all,

GeoNet (New Zealand) is migrating GNSS data access from the current FTP server (ftp://ftp.geonet.org.nz<ftp://ftp.geonet.org.nz/>) to HTTPs (https://data.geonet.org.nz<https://data.geonet.org.nz/>). The FTP server will be deprecated in December 2021. If you are using and downloading our data, please update your codes at your earliest convenience.

### Why we are deprecating FTP
Data distribution or access via FTP (File Transfer Protocol) has been recognised as an IT security risk for many years now, and has been deprecated by several data centres. The majority of internet browsers are also deprecating FTP (i.e.: Chrome has deprecated FTP in March 2021: https://chromestatus.com/feature/6246151319715840), causing our end users to not be able to access or list the GeoNet data archive using a browser.

### GeoNet FTP deprecation timeline
The recommended distribution channel for our GNSS data products is now migrated from ftp://ftp.geonet.org.nz to https://data.geonet.org.nz. The latter is now online.
The two access mechanisms (FTP and HTTPS) will coexist until December 2021, to allow users migration. After that date, only the HTTPs address will be available.

### Details on folder structure changes
Most of the "directory structure" is unchanged, but we have reorganized some of the endpoints that were not sitting under "gnss".

The following GNSS data products are now distributed via HTTPs
- GNSS 30s raw hourly data
- GNSS 30s daily RINEX2.11 data
- GNSS 30s hourly RINEX2.11 data
- GNSS 1sec 15 min RINEX2.11 data of a selection of stations that are streaming in real time and contributing to the LINZ's PositioNZ-Real Time network.
- GNSS metadata sitelogs (ascii format and Sopac2004 XML format)

The old and new endpoints are:
FTP url: ftp://ftp.geonet.org.nz
HTTPs url: https://data.geonet.org.nz

product
current FTP mount
HTTPs mount
GNSS 30s raw files
gnss/raw
gnss/raw
GNSS 30s rinex files, hourly
gnss/rinexhourly
gnss/rinexhourly
GNSS 30s rinex files, daily
gnss/rinex
gnss/rinex
GNSS 1s rinex files, 15min(*)
rtgps/rinex1Hz/PositioNZ
gnss/rinex1hz
GNSS local site_ties
gnss/site_ties
gnss/site_ties
GNSS metadata in sitelog format
gps/sitelogs
gnss/sitelogs

We hope this change will not impact your ability to access and use our data.

Please let us know if you need further details, and we will be happy to provide additional information or coordinate specific user group discussions.
Please contact us by
·         replying to this email (and including myself and Megan Kortink, both in cc)
·         using our https://github.com/GeoNet/help
·         or via email at info at geonet.org.nz<mailto:info at geonet.org.nz>.

Apologies for any cross posting, and please circulate this with anyone else in your organization that might be interested.

Best regards,

Elisabetta

Elisabetta D’Anastasio I Science Operations Technical Lead
Science Operations and Data team I Ngā Mahi me te Raraunga Pūtaiao
Data Science and Geohazards Monitoring Department
GNS Science I Te Pῡ Ao
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon 5010, PO Box 30368, Lower Hutt 5040, New Zealand
Ph +64 (0) 4 570 4744 I Mob +64 (02) 27 6655 890
http://www.geonet.org.nz/<http://www.gns.cri.nz/> I Email: e.danastasio at gns.cri.nz<mailto:e.danastasio at gns.cri.nz>

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential and may not be used, published or redistributed without the prior written consent of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Limited (GNS Science). If received in error please destroy and immediately notify GNS Science. Do not copy or disclose the contents.