Seafloor Geodesy Session in Ocean Sciences Meeting 2022

Matt Wei matt-wei at uri.edu
Tue Sep 14 13:09:54 UTC 2021

Dear colleagues,

We invite you to submit an abstract to the Seafloor Geodesy Session
(OT18) in Ocean Science 2022, which will take place in Honolulu, Hawaii
between February 27 and March 4, 2022. This session aims to highlight
advances and challenges in seafloor geodesy and the potential for
collaborative interactions between geophysicists and physical
oceanographers. The session will be in *hybrid* format, including both
in person and virtual components.

The submission deadline is *September 29, 2021*. The meeting website is
https://www.aslo.org/osm2022/

In parallel with the session, we are also planning a hybrid, one-day
mini-workshop before the meeting for geophysicists and physical
oceanographers to discuss potential synergies and collaborations. We are
seeking funds to provide partial travel support for geophysicists and
early career scientists who might not otherwise attend the Ocean
Sciences meeting.

Matt Wei (University of Rhode Island)
William Wilcock (University of Washington)
Erik Fredrickson(University of Washington)
Ian Fenty (JPL)
Rui Ponte (AER)

Session OT18 Seafloor geodesy: An oceanographic perspective

On land, satellite geodesy has transformed our understanding of the
deformation associated with plate tectonics and volcanism. In the
oceans, geodesy is much more challenging because electromagnetic signals
from satellites do not reach the seafloor. Nevertheless, seafloor
geodesy is important because most plate boundaries lie within the ocean
or along coastlines and submarine volcanism dominates the Earth’s
magmatic budget. Seafloor geodesy is expensive which limits the number
of observation sites. The water noise is still very large which hinders
the detection of tectonic signals. This session seeks submissions that
discuss seafloor geodetic techniques and results, approaches to
improving oceanographic corrections to seafloor geodetic data, and the
potential synergies between seafloor geodesy, observational
oceanography, and models of oceanographic circulation.

--
Meng "Matt" Wei
Associate Professor

Tel: (401)874-6530 | https://weilaburi.wixsite.com/home