Accounting and Audit Manager Position Available
tangye at unavco.org
Fri Sep 24 20:27:03 UTC 2021
UNAVCO, Inc. is accepting applications for an Accounting and Audit Manager
(Remote Work Options Available).
Tracking Code: 221-532
UNAVCO, is a Boulder, Colorado based non-profit, university governed
consortium that facilitates geoscience research and education using geodesy
(studies on the size, shape, and other physical characteristics of the
Earth). The Accounting / Audit Manager is a first-line supervisory level
staff position responsible for assisting the Controller and/or Director of
Business affairs in managing various aspects of the accounting and auditing
functions. This position will use independent judgment to plan, organize,
and manage the accounting and audit functions of the company. Performs
advanced and specialized accounting assignments, often involving complex
and confidential data.
*Application Process:* Applications will only be accepted via UNAVCO's
career website (*https://www.unavco.org/careers/)
<https://unavcocareers.silkroad.com/>*. Application review begins *October
15, 2021* and will continue until the position is filled.
Application materials must include a cover letter and complete resume.
applications will not be considered*
*Location:* UNAVCO supports a robust remote work environment, while this
position is nominally based in Boulder, CO., remote work options are
available and allowable.
*Salary range is $70,752 - $106,128* with actual salary based on
candidate’s education and qualifications.
*Benefits:* UNAVCO offers very competitive benefits including Medical,
Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, Supplemental Benefits, 4 weeks Paid Time
Off (PTO), and a retirement plan with a 10% employer contribution.
*Where You Will Work: *
UNAVCO maintains and operates the Geodetic Facility for the Advancement of
Geoscience (GAGE) which provides support to the National Science Foundation
(NSF) investigator community for geodesy, Earth Sciences research,
education and workforce development with broad societal benefits. As part
of GAGE, UNAVCO operates a large network of geodetic instruments (primarily
GNSS) and a world class data facility and archive which provides cyber
infrastructure to support the full data life cycle and interoperability
with national and international Earth science Data Centers.
For over three decades, UNAVCO has spearheaded the utilization of
cutting-edge technologies in support of geodesy while providing robust
operational support for researchers exploring the solid Earth (earthquakes,
volcanoes, plate tectonics), the hydrosphere (deformation of ice, the
Earth's response to groundwater, sea level change), and the atmosphere. Our
instrumentation toolbox includes high-precision GPS, LiDAR, TLS, optical
imagery, InSAR, and more.
*What You Will Do:*
The Accounting and Audit Manager will perform daily, monthly, and annual
accounting functions and transactions including accounting software,
payroll, cash receipts, payments, assisting with budget spreadsheets, and
accounting for financial assets and debts. The incumbent will supervise
accounting staff and ensure established accounting methods are adhered to.
This position will also monitor and create financial reports for auditing
requests and Board of Director meetings. Work is accomplished with
moderate supervision and reviewed for accuracy and overall adequacy. The
incumbent will establish and maintain internal controls to achieve the
objectives of effective and efficient operations, reliable financial
reporting, and compliance with applicable laws and regulations. (OMB
- Manage and ensure timely and accurate recording of accounting
- Manage the month-end close process for accounting and reporting,
including journal entry review, reconciliation review, financial reporting,
- Review transactions posted to the general ledger for accuracy
throughout the month.
- Reviews and approves bi-weekly payroll, including retirement plan
- Work with PEO to ensure all necessary payroll tax documents are
prepared and filed for each state where UNAVCO conducts business. Includes
reports for monthly and quarterly payroll deposits, end of year payroll tax
statements, W-2's, and 1099 vendors.
- Coordinates the preparation of financial documents like income
statements, balance sheets, and detailed income and expense reports as
- Maintains accuracy of UNAVCO’s credit card reporting system.
- Order, distribute, analysis and accounting management of year-round
staff credit cards and all necessary training associated with their use.
- Coordinates UNAVCO inventory reporting and depreciation schedules.
- Maintain the general and project ledgers, including Chart of Accounts
maintenance, project set-up and validation, employee maintenance.
- Maintains integrity of accounting software (MS Dynamics) through
regular review and update of transactions for accuracy.
- Assist with systems implementations and data integrity.
- Assists in formulation of internal controls and policies and ensures
the company maintains compliance with internal controls.
- Comply with all federal, state and local government agencies for
financial reporting, audits, annual reports and taxes.
- Acts as technical liaison with external auditors on Financial Audit,
Single Audit, 403(b) Audit, Tax Filing and Non-discrimination Testing
- Works closely with the Controller on NSF audits.
- Works with Controller to provide monthly analysis to the Senior
Management Team on indirect department (G&A) actuals to budget variances.
- Develops annual provisional indirect and fringe rates in collaboration
- Coordinates with Controller on final and provisional rate agreements
- Coordinates UNAVCO corporate budget.
- Assists Controller with Board of Director reporting.
- Prepares cash draws as needed to fund operations.
- Manages corporate banking and administrative services, including
operating accounts, private funds corporate accounts, wire transfer and ACH
- Oversee the preparation of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
- Other duties or projects as assigned by the Controller and/or
Director, Business Affairs.
*APPLICABLE SKILLS / CORE COMPETENCIES*
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability for the position.
- Intermediate experience in accounting database systems.
- Ability to manage internal accounts to ensure proper and timely
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication and ability to work professionally with
clients, vendors, employees, managers and supervisors.
- Strong understanding of accounting concepts.
- Ability to provide resolution to various problems that are typically
well defined, but where some clarification is required to determine action.
- Ability to review presented problems and provide resolution through
reviewing information and evaluating solution options.
- Strong mathematical and reasoning skills.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and complete tasks while
- Ability to clearly express information via schedules, tables, charts
and commentary to superiors or management.
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Excel and Office.
- Ability to solve complex problems using a sequential system.
*LEADERSHIP AND SUPERVISION*
Incumbent is self-motivated and works independently, but consults with the
supervisor regularly. Exerts significant latitude in determining activities
related to the execution of the assignment. Takes calculated risks with
consultation from the supervisor. Provides leadership and direction to
accounting staff (including A/P, A/R, Payroll, General Accounting) through
direct supervision, review of journal entries and account reconciliations
prepared by accounting staff. In coordination with Controller and/or
Director, Business Affairs oversees the hiring; planning, assigning, and
directing work; appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining,
addressing complaints and resolving personnel issues. Improve accounting
and payroll management job knowledge by attending educational
professional and technical publications, and benchmarking relevant
*What You Need: *
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field; and
- At least 5 years of progressive Accounting and Auditing experience.
- Experience working within or familiarity with guidelines of GAAP, OMB
- Experience in a government contracting or grant environment.
- Experience working in a project accounting environment.
- MS Dynamics SL.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for work authorization within the
UNAVCO is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action
employer. Our long-term success depends on the development of a
forward-looking, diversified workforce. UNAVCO values diverse perspectives
and backgrounds in all positions within the organization and is fully
committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal
and State laws, and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative
action. UNAVCO encourages applications from candidates who are members of
historically underrepresented groups. This includes candidates from
different socioeconomic backgrounds, candidates with disabilities,
candidates with unique life experiences, etc. Women, Veterans, Individuals
with Disabilities and members of the BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ communities are
encouraged to apply. All qualified and complete applications will be
considered. Individuals with a disability needing an accommodation as part
of the employment selection process should contact HR at unavco.org or
UNAVCO supports a safe work environment for all staff. As part of our
commitment, UNAVCO conducts background checks. Background checks will vary
and are based on position requirements. Background checks may include but
are not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle
history, financial history and/or education verification. Background checks
may also be conducted when required by law or when at the discretion of
UNAVCO is reasonable and prudent to do so. UNAVCO complies with the Fair
Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
Human Resources Manager
6350 Nautilus Drive
Boulder CO 80301
tangye at unavco.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the unav_all