UNAVCO GDS transition from FTP to HTTPS

Daniel McNamara daniel.mcnamara at unavco.org
Thu Apr 7 18:23:53 UTC 2022

Dear UNAVCO Community,

This is a reminder that the GAGE Facility, operated by UNAVCO, is
transitioning from FTP to HTTPS for access to our data archive file system.
The new HTTPS data file server has been operational and available
starting 06-01-2020.
The FTP server will be retired *06-01-2022*.

Please note that on-going changes in best practice cybersecurity
implementation may make FTP unusable to you or your institution before this
date. Most major browsers and operating systems have already removed
pre-installed support for FTP and some even block its installation. UNAVCO
highly recommends that you make these changes as quickly as possible to
avoid any disruptions.

The new HTTPS server is located here:

https://data.unavco.org

Please start using it at your earliest convenience via a web browser and
update your data access scripts via cURL, Wget, etc.

Please note the HTTPS server will have a new file organization to
accommodate more instrument data types. The paths to data will now start
with the instrument type, e.g., /gnss, at the root level. For example,
paths will change from

ftp://data-out.unavco.org/pub/

https://data.unavco.org/archive/gnss/

Subdirectory structures and filenames under the GNSS directory will remain
unchanged.

We have updated our website with this transition plan
<https://www.unavco.org/data/gps-gnss/file-server/file-server-transition-notice.html>,
example data access scripts
<https://www.unavco.org/data/gps-gnss/file-server/file-server-access-examples.html>,
and instructions for HTTPS data file access
<https://www.unavco.org/data/gps-gnss/file-server/file-server.html>.

Regards,
Dave Mencin , UNAVCO GDS Director

Dan McNamara, UNAVCO GDS Archive Manager