Software Engineer II/III Positions within Boulder, CO
naya.pacheco at unavco.org
Fri Feb 11 00:49:37 UTC 2022
UNAVCO, Inc. is accepting applications for a *Software Engineer II/III*.
*Tracking Code*: 233-532
*Application Process:* Applications will only be accepted via UNAVCO's
career website (https://www.unavco.org/careers/). Application review
February 28, 2022* and will continue until filled.
*Location:* UNAVCO is based in Boulder, Colorado but supports remote and
hybrid work arrangements.
*Salary *is based on the candidate’s qualifications within the established
UNAVCO salary ranges:
Software Engineer II - 72,200 – 108,300
Software Engineer III - 82,200 – 127,500
*Benefits:* UNAVCO offers very competitive benefits including Medical,
Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, Supplemental Benefits, 4 weeks Paid Time
Off (PTO), and a retirement plan with a 10% employer contribution.
UNAVCO maintains and operates the Geodetic Facility for the Advancement of
Geoscience (GAGE) which provides support to the National Science Foundation
(NSF) investigator community for geodesy, Earth Sciences research,
education and workforce development with broad societal benefits. As part
of GAGE, UNAVCO operates a large network of geodetic instruments (primarily
GNSS) and a world class data facility and archive. This facility supports a
broad range of applications from the study of plate tectonics and
earthquakes to real-time precise vehicle navigation and fiducial networks.
For over three decades, UNAVCO has spearheaded the utilization of
cutting-edge technologies in geodesy while providing robust operational
support for researchers exploring the solid Earth (earthquakes, volcanoes,
plate tectonics), the hydrosphere (deformation of ice, the Earth's response
to groundwater, sea level change), and the atmosphere. Our instrumentation
toolbox includes high-precision GPS/GNSS, lidar and optical imagery,
synthetic aperture radar (SAR), borehole geophysics, and more.
The *Software Engineer II/III* is responsible for assisting in the
development, implementation, testing and documentation for components of
software systems as well as unit and integration testing. They also
participate in defining internal best practices, standards, and timelines
and participate in identifying technologies that should be used. The
incumbent will operate with moderate supervision to apply well-proven
techniques with some technical risk that could impact the outcome of the
software engineering project.
- Design, develop, implement and support moderately complex software
- Obtain and analyze software systems requirements.
- Test and document software components.
- Debug and maintain legacy code.
- Investigate and fix issues within Java applications used by file
engineers to maintain field equipment.
- Gather requirements and work on enhancements to Java applications to
support new equipment or procedures.
- Make sure all software developed has been checked into a source code
- Perform code reading with other developers to assure clarity,
correctness and UNAVCO’s security procedures.
- Fix issues found during integration in the continuous test environment
maintained at UNAVCO.
- Follow internal software development, testing and documentation
methodologies, policies and best practices.
- Participate in joint analysis and design activities with other staff
in defining directions, standards, and timelines and identifying key
technologies for evolving moderately complex software systems.
- Continually work to acquire and improve skills relevant to work. Keeps
abreast of current best practices and trends affecting software systems.
- Participate in defining internal best practices, standards and
- Participate in identifying technologies that should be used.
- Follow best practices in software documentation and work with team
members to keep documentation up to date.
- May work directly with Engineers in the Geodetic Infrastructure
Directorate and community members to debug programs that they use to
determine the cause of any issues that may arise and fix them.
- May participate in selection of vendors.
- Offers guidance to entry level software engineers.
- May serve as a contact for community members in various technical
- Participate on teams in defining strategic directions, standards, and
timelines and identifying key technologies.
- May contribute to authoring technical reports and publications and may
present at conferences.
- Other duties may be assigned as necessary for the successful operation
of the business.
*Leadership & Supervision*
- Has communication with, and direct supervision by, Engineering Manager
(GDS) for guidance.
- Work is reviewed for accuracy and overall quality.
- Creates a general overview/plan for larger tasks but receives guidance
on alternative solutions and complicated problems.
- Work with and support other UNAVCO staff while working on projects.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibility.
*Applicable Skills / Core Competencies*
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability for the position:
· Ability to build data models to solve new data requirement needs.
· Experience with developing front ends in Java.
· Ability to understand legacy Java code developed using Java Server
· Ability to modify and enhance code using Hibernate and Spring Web
· Ability to write SQL queries in Postgres or another relational
database to support development of web services and general purposes
utilities as well as answer questions of UNAVCO engineers and community.
· Ability to develop complex data models on existing databases to
support new features.
· Working knowledge of software development tools such as wikis,
trouble ticketing systems, continuous testing/integration, and Git.
· Ability to apply the software lifecycle to projects.
· Ability to take initiative to learn new skills, current best
practices, technologies and trends affecting software systems.
· Ability to write organized and comprehensive documentation on
· Understanding of Object Oriented Programming.
· Ability to recognize problems that may arise in production and
ability to fix them in a timely manner.
· Ability to foster a professional culture through the use of strong
interpersonal skills, verbal and written communications.
· Fosters a professional culture through the use of strong
interpersonal skills, verbal and written communications.
*Required Education and Experience*
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Information
Systems or related STEM field and three (3) years of experience in software
· Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or
related STEM field and one (1) year of experience in software development.
· At least 3 years of experience developing software in Java.
· At least 2 years of experience with the use of Postgres or another
relational database with the ability to write complex queries.
*Preferred Education and Experience*
· Experience doing Python development
· Support multi-thread Python processes
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Ability to sit and/or stand to work at a computer for extended
periods of time.
· Ability to move about a typical office environment on a daily
· Ability to lift and move up to 10 pounds occasionally.
· Infrequent travel by conventional means including aircraft, motor
- Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore
- Ability to organize and prioritize work schedules for self and others.
- Ability to compute, analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to make decisions which have moderate impact on the function
UNAVCO is unable to provide sponsorship for work authorization within the
UNAVCO is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action
employer. Our long-term success depends on the development of a
forward-looking, diversified workforce. UNAVCO values diverse perspectives
and backgrounds in all positions within the organization and is fully
committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal
and State laws, and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative
action. UNAVCO encourages applications from candidates who are members of
historically underrepresented groups. This includes candidates from
different socioeconomic backgrounds, candidates with disabilities,
candidates with unique life experiences, etc. Women, Veterans, Individuals
with Disabilities and members of the BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ communities are
encouraged to apply. All qualified and complete applications will be
considered. Individuals with a disability needing an accommodation as part
of the employment selection process should contact HR at unavco.org or
UNAVCO supports a safe work environment for all staff. As part of our
commitment, UNAVCO conducts background checks. Background checks will vary
and are based on position requirements. Background checks may include but
are not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle
history, financial history and/or education verification. Background checks
may also be conducted when required by law or when at the discretion of
UNAVCO is reasonable and prudent to do so. UNAVCO complies with the Fair
Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
Vaccination Requirements: All employees are required to be
fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty
location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject
to such exceptions as required by law. If offered employment, you will be
required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of
proof of vaccination before your appointment or onboarding with UNAVCO.
Information about requesting a medical or religious accommodation/exemption
should be directed to Human Resources at hr at unavco.org.
Human Resources Assistant
Working Remotely M-F
naya.pacheco at unavco.org <tangye at unavco.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the unav_all