CORRECTION: Software Engineer I/II/III Positions Available in Boulder, CO - Remote Work Options Available
naya.pacheco at unavco.org
Wed Feb 23 21:55:17 UTC 2022
UNAVCO, Inc. is accepting applications to fill two (2) *Software Engineer*
positions at the Engineer I, II or Software Engineer III level.
*Application Process:* Applications will only be accepted via UNAVCO's
career website (*https://www.unavco.org/careers/)
<https://unavcocareers.silkroad.com/>*. Application review begins *Monday,
March 14, 2022* and will continue until filled.
*Tracking Code: *232-532
*Location:* UNAVCO is based in Boulder, Colorado but supports remote and
hybrid work arrangements.
*Salary: *Based on candidate’s qualifications within the established
UNAVCO salary ranges:
- Software Engineer I $ 58,000 - $ 87,000
- Software Engineer II $72,200 - $108,300
- Software Engineer III $82,200 - $127,500
*Benefits:* UNAVCO offers very competitive benefits including Medical,
Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, Supplemental Benefits, 4 weeks Paid Time
off (PTO), and a retirement plan with a 10% employer contribution.
UNAVCO maintains and operates the Geodetic Facility for the Advancement of
Geoscience (GAGE) which provides support to the National Science Foundation
(NSF) investigator community for geodesy, Earth Sciences research,
education and workforce development with broad societal benefits. As part
of GAGE, UNAVCO operates a large network of geodetic instruments (primarily
GNSS) and a world class data facility and archive. This facility supports a
broad range of applications from the study of plate tectonics and
earthquakes to real-time precise vehicle navigation and fiducial networks.
For over three decades, UNAVCO has spearheaded the utilization of
cutting-edge technologies in geodesy while providing robust operational
support for researchers exploring the solid Earth (earthquakes, volcanoes,
plate tectonics), the hydrosphere (deformation of ice, the Earth's response
to groundwater, sea level change), and the atmosphere. Our instrumentation
toolbox includes high-precision GPS/GNSS, lidar and optical imagery,
synthetic aperture radar (SAR), borehole geophysics, and more.
*What You Will Do*
UNAVCO *Software Engineers* are responsible for design, development,
implementation, testing and documentation for components of software
systems that support the following functions: data collection, data flow,
data archiving, database interaction, web-based data/metadata search and
access, interoperability, quality control, formatting, pre-processing and
visualization. These are exempt positions.
UNAVCO is currently transitioning to a new cloud-native architecture, with
design components that include Docker, Kubernetes, Apache Kafka, TileDB,
TimeScaleDB, and Elasticsearch that will be deployed primarily on Amazon
Web Services. We also operate legacy applications in a VMWare private cloud
environment. We anticipate a rapidly evolving future that necessitates
adoption of new technologies and technology stacks.
The Software Engineers will apply their skills and full understanding of
industry practices, community standards and relevant policies and
procedures to projects of variable complexity and scope as a function of
grade (Software I/II/III). They will resolve a wide range of issues, and
demonstrate competency in selecting tools, methods and techniques to obtain
These new positions will primarily focus on enabling the Data Services team
to transition to a fully cloud native architecture.
● Containerization of the databases used to store all the metadata
about our data holdings and networks to support scalability,
interoperability, and reproducibility.
● Containerization and optimization of applications for the
extraction, translation, quality control, and delivery of data holdings.
● Developing cloud infrastructure, CI/CD pipelines.
● Build analysis ready, cloud-native, data stores of UNAVCO’s various
classes of data types.
● Provide guidance on cloud architecture from design to deployment
● Design, develop, implement and support software systems.
● Participate on software and program teams in defining strategic
directions, standards, and timelines, and identifying key technologies for
evolving complex software systems.
● Follow internal software development, testing and documentation
methodologies, policies, and best practices to ensure a robust software
development environment is maintained.
● Test and document software components.
● Obtains and analyzes software systems requirements.
● Debugs and maintains legacy code.
● Participate in joint analysis and design activities with other
staff in defining directions, standards and timelines; identifying key
technologies for evolving software systems.
*Additional Responsibilities *
● May work directly with Engineers in the Geodetic Infrastructure
Directorate to debug and resolve issues with software programs.
● May contribute to authoring technical reports and publications and
may present at conferences.
● Other duties may be assigned as necessary for the successful
operation of the business.
We welcome applications from early career software engineers who would like
to pursue a career in the fields of cloud computing and big data analysis.
*Supervision and Leadership*
· Has frequent communication with, and direct supervision by,
Software Engineer IV for instruction and guidance.
· Work is reviewed for accuracy and overall quality.
· Works with and supports other UNAVCO staff while working on
· This position does not have supervisory responsibility.
*Applicable Skills / Core Competencies *
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability for the position:
● Working knowledge of software development tools such as wikis,
trouble ticketing systems, continuous testing/integration, and Git.
● Ability to apply the software lifecycle to projects.
● Ability to take initiative to learn new skills, current best
practices, technologies and trends affecting software systems.
● Ability to write organized and comprehensive documentation on
● Understanding of object oriented and functional programming.
● Demonstrated ability to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
● Self-motivated and works well both independently and as part of a
● Fosters a professional culture through the use of strong
interpersonal skills, verbal and written communications.
*Required Education and Experience*
● Software Engineer I - Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer
Science, Information Systems or related STEM field at time of hire.
● Software Engineer II - Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer
Science, Information Systems or related STEM field and three (3) years of
experience in software development. *OR* a Master’s degree in Computer
Science, Information Systems or related STEM field and one (1) year of
experience in software development.
● Software Engineer III - Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science,
Information Systems or related STEM field and six (6) years of experience
in software development. *OR* a Master’s degree in Computer Science,
Information Systems or related STEM field and three (3) years of experience
in software development.
● Knowledge of software engineering, including development, staging,
and production environments for deployment.
● Knowledge of languages such as Java, Python, C++, Node.js.
● Working knowledge of containerization and orchestration
technologies (e.g. Docker swarm, Kubernetes, Mesos, DC/OS).
● Cloud architecture, deployment, and provisioning technologies (e.g.
AWS-CDK, Terraform, Ansible, Libcloud).
● Streaming/messaging systems and protocols (e.g. Kafka, Pulsar,
RabbitMQ, MQTT, ZeroMQ, Flink).
● Data serialization, standardization, and translation. (e.g. AVRO,
JSON, bit level manipulation).
● Microservice databases (e.g. FastAPI, Flask, Django, PostgreSQL).
● Object storage and distributed file system technologies (e.g.
TileDB, HDF5, S3 Buckets).
● Commercial, private and/or academic cloud deployment and
● FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable) data
● Previous experience with geospatial, geodetic, or earth observation
data and libraries.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Ability to sit and/or stand to work at a computer for extended
periods of time.
● Ability to move about a typical office environment on a daily basis.
● Ability to lift and move up to 10 pounds occasionally.
● Occasional travel by conventional means including aircraft, motor
vehicle and the like.
● Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and
explore alternative solutions.
● Ability to organize and prioritize work schedules for self and
● Ability to compute, analyze and interpret data.
● Ability to make decisions which have moderate impact on the
function and UNAVCO.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for work authorization within the
UNAVCO is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action
employer. Our long-term success depends on the development of a
forward-looking, diversified workforce. UNAVCO values diverse perspectives
and backgrounds in all positions within the organization and is fully
committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal
and State laws, and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative
action. UNAVCO encourages applications from candidates who are members of
historically underrepresented groups. This includes candidates from
different socioeconomic backgrounds, candidates with disabilities,
candidates with unique life experiences, etc. Women, Veterans, Individuals
with Disabilities and members of the BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ communities are
encouraged to apply. All qualified and complete applications will be
considered. Individuals with a disability needing an accommodation as part
of the employment selection process should contact HR at unavco.org or
UNAVCO supports a safe work environment for all staff. As part of our
commitment, UNAVCO conducts background checks. Background checks will vary
and are based on position requirements. Background checks may include but
are not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle
history, financial history and/or education verification. Background checks
may also be conducted when required by law or when at the discretion of
UNAVCO is reasonable and prudent to do so. UNAVCO complies with the Fair
Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
Vaccination Requirements: All employees are required to be
fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty
location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject
to such exceptions as required by law. If offered employment, you will be
required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of
proof of vaccination before your appointment or onboarding with UNAVCO.
Information about requesting a medical or religious accommodation/exemption
should be directed to Human Resources at hr at unavco.org.
Human Resources Assistant
Working Remotely M-F
naya.pacheco at unavco.org <tangye at unavco.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the unav_all