Volatiles from Source to Surface, a GeoPRISMS synthesis workshop - Apply by January 5th!

Myers, Madison madison.myers at montana.edu
Mon Jan 3 00:30:41 UTC 2022

Reminder! Apply by January 5th to attend “Volatiles from Source to Surface”, a GeoPRISMS-funded synthesis workshop.

Workshop dates: May 23 - 26, 2022

Location: Bozeman, MT

Website: https://volatilessourcetosurface.weebly.com<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Furldefense.com%2Fv3%2F__https%3A%2F%2Fvolatilessourcetosurface.weebly.com%2F__%3B!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!MmdxWqAKkW9qDnxKycreQWiarJF72w8npTU9w5H-w0ba4M6Lrtd4-rv9Mk5fzO3We4o%24&data=04%7C01%7Cmadison.myers%40MONTANA.EDU%7C686724875bd24dc266f308d9a4881732%7C324aa97a03a644fc91e43846fbced113%7C0%7C0%7C637721726687118679%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=dPO2nGIVVoYnlWT%2BxddeVVxSHENQwCx5manqAfsue04%3D&reserved=0>

Questions? Email madison.myers at montana.edu

Apply here!<https://forms.gle/rQCj6LtoUXd4EbWy7>

Dear colleagues,

We welcome you to apply to attend “Volatiles from Source to Surface”, a GeoPRISMS synthesis workshop which will be held in person from May 23-26th, 2022 at Montana State University in Bozeman, Montana.

Keynote speakers include:

 - Tobias Fischer     - Diana Roman    - Michelle Muth   - Samer Naif

 - Terry Plank          - Ikuko Wada        - Társilo Girona   - Gabe Epstein

Overarching Questions

  1.  How can we better link geochemistry, geophysics, and models (physics-based and/or machine learning) to improve our understanding of processes, and potentially anticipate volcanic activity?
  2.  To what extent do global-scale differences in volatile cycling drive measurable differences in volcanic behavior (e.g., eruption style, edifice density, eruption frequency)?
  3.  What chemical and isotope (H, C, N, O, noble gases, etc.) fractionations and alterations are occurring during fluid transit through the crust? Can we identify these and/or correct for them?
  4.  How do we relate observations of precursory surface gas emissions to magmatic processes driving eruption at depth?
  5.  How do variations in subduction zone character lead to differences in volatile cycling?

Workshop Logistics

The workshop will consist of a series of keynote talks, poster and discussion sessions, held on May 24 and 26, with a field trip to Yellowstone on May 25. Preceding the workshop on May 23 will be a half-day early-career event. Please see the website<https://volatilessourcetosurface.weebly.com> for more information.

Thanks to funding support from NSF, there is no registration fee, single-dwelling housing, breakfast, and lunch are provided, the field trip to Yellowstone is included and domestic travel support may be available but is prioritized for students, post-docs, early-career scientists, and underrepresented groups in the geosciences.

** COVID-19 Precautions **

The safety of participants and our local community is paramount. Thus, we will be requiring all participants to provide proof of vaccination. Rapid tests will be available on site, with masks required in all indoor spaces. Single-dwelling housing is provided. We will move to a fully virtual format if necessary.

Thank you for your consideration!

Organizing Committee

Madison Myers  (Montana State University)

Taryn Lopez (University of Alaska Fairbanks)

Megan Newcombe (University of Maryland)

Dan Rasmussen (Smithsonian NMNH)

Behnaz Hosseini (Montana State University)

Madison L. Myers, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor (She/Her)

Department of Earth Sciences

Montana State University