SSA Session: Advances in Earthquake Geology

Reitman, Nadine G nreitman at usgs.gov
Wed Jan 5 19:45:37 UTC 2022

Hi Everyone,

Please consider submitting an abstract to our session  "Advances in Earthquake Geology: Spatiotemporal variations in fault behavior from geology and geodesy" at the 2022 Seismological Society of America annual meeting, which will be held in Bellevue, WA from April 19-23. We welcome contributions from field studies, remote sensing/geodesy, or modeling (numerical/analog) that address patterns and variability of earthquake rupture and recurrence.

Abstracts are due on January 12 at 5 PM Pacific time. Submit an abstract here:  https://meetings.seismosoc.org/submit/

Session Description:
Field and remote sensing observations of recent ruptures at the Earth’s surface highlight variable rupture geometries, surface slip distributions, zones of distributed or off-fault deformation, and fault zone damage. The extent to which these complex and heterogenous patterns are consistent or variable between earthquakes is a fundamental question in earthquake science and remains largely unknown. Meanwhile, advances in numerical and analog modeling and laboratory experiments expand our ability to study strain accumulation and release and the landscape response through multiple earthquake cycles. Additionally, advances in geochronology allow us to better constrain earthquake timing and slip rates, enabling higher resolution comparisons of spatial and temporal patterns of slip within a fault zone. In this session, we encourage abstracts that investigate spatial and temporal patterns (including their causes and uncertainties) in strain accumulation and release spanning coseismic to geologic timescales to address questions such as: (1) How variable or consistent are patterns of surface slip and distributed deformation from one earthquake to the next and along ruptures? (2) How do we infer geologic rates based on limited geodetic records? (3) How does earthquake timing and recurrence cluster through space and time? (4) Are observations from single events representative of earthquake and fault behavior over geologic timescales? (5) How applicable are observations and findings across fault systems? We welcome contributions that present new observations or theories on the patterns and variability in earthquake rupture from field (paleoseismology, tectonic geomorphology), remote sensing (geodesy), or modeling (numerical or analog simulations or laboratory experiments) studies in any tectonic setting that will further our understanding of fault behavior over modern to geologic timescales.

Conveners:
Nadine Reitman, Chris Milliner, Xiaohua (Eric) Xu, Austin Elliott, Jessie Thompson Jobe

--
Nadine G. Reitman, Ph.D.
Research Geologist
nreitman at usgs.gov