UNAVCO Newsletter - January 2022

Scott Johnson scott.johnson at unavco.org
Thu Jan 20 20:14:05 UTC 2022

[image: header photo with UNAVCO logo]
<https://www.unavco.org/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>
*NEWSLETTER JANUARY 2022*

*Several weeks ago, the Marshall Fire burned over 6,000 acres and 1,000
homes in Boulder County, Colorado. Many of you kindly reached out in
concern—UNAVCO's Boulder facility was not affected and our instruments in
the area were not damaged. Our sympathy goes out to all those who lost
their homes. If you'd like to help, the Community Foundation Boulder County
is taking donations
<https://www.coloradogives.org/bouldercountywildfirefund?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>.
This event is yet another reminder of the importance of all efforts that
help keep human communities safe in the face of Earth system hazards.*
*AGU New Orleans*

UNAVCO's exhibit booth and a number of staff returned to AGU's annual
meeting last month. We trust that all of you who attended in-person stopped
by to restock on stickers. Here's hoping for the ability to catch up with
more of you at various events in 2022!
[image: tables with printed materials and a GPS antenna]

*A shot from the start of the week, when bumper sticker inventory was still
plentiful. (Photo: Scott Johnson)*
[image: man in mask standing in front of a poster]

*UNAVCO's Ken Austin pulling double poster duty. (Photo: Scott Johnson)*
*NEWS HIGHLIGHTS*

[image: thumbnail image of headshots and names]
<https://www.unavco.org/news/unavco-community-election-results-2/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>

Community Election Results

UNAVCO, as a university-governed consortium, elected new members to the
Board of Directors and Nominating Committee.

*READ MORE*
<https://www.unavco.org/news/unavco-community-election-results-2/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>

Governance Family Care Policy

To relieve some of the burden that time commitment places on our board and
committee members, the Board of Directors approved reimbursement of family
care costs incurred to enable participation in meetings.

*GOVERNANCE INFO
<https://www.unavco.org/governance/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>*
[image: thumbnail image]
[image: group photo of interns]
<https://www.unavco.org/education/student-internships/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>

Internship Applications are Open!

We are accepting applications for the RESESS, Geo-Launchpad, and USIP
summer programs (deadline Feb. 8). Please encourage students to apply!

Available USIP positions this year include field engineer, data science,
and science communication opportunities. USIP is open to undergraduate and
graduate students.

*READ AND APPLY*
<https://www.unavco.org/education/student-internships/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>

RESESS Satellite Program

RESESS will now include a Satellite program
<https://www.unavco.org/news/expanding-resess-to-engage-students-from-groups-underrepresented-in-geosciences/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>
in addition to the traditional Boulder program. For 2022, UNAVCO is
partnering with faculty from the University of Washington Department of
Earth and Space Sciences.

Additionally
<https://www.unavco.org/news/geo-launchpad-receives-new-nsf-award/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>,
the Geo-Launchpad program received an NSF award
<https://www.unavco.org/news/geo-launchpad-receives-new-nsf-award/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>
to continue serving community college students from Colorado, New Mexico,
and (now) Wyoming through 2024!

[image: thumbnail image]
[image: thumbnail image]
[image: thumbnail image of staff in field]
<https://www.unavco.org/news/new-action-plan-aims-to-improve-safety-for-field-staff-from-underrepresented-groups/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>

Inclusive Field Safety

We have a new inclusive field safety action plan in place to ensure that
all our field staff are safe at work, including from the unique risks that
staff from underrepresented groups may face.

We encourage you all to take a look at the plan and share your feedback.

*READ MORE
<https://www.unavco.org/news/new-action-plan-aims-to-improve-safety-for-field-staff-from-underrepresented-groups/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>*

Geodesy on SciShow

The popular YouTube science channel SciShow (nearly 7 million subscribers!)
recently made a great video titled "Unexpected Ways Scientists Use GPS".

*CHECK IT OUT
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObRYNKXwzrs&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>*
[image: thumbnail image]
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObRYNKXwzrs&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>
[image: thumbnail image of display station]
<https://www.usgs.gov/observatories/yvo/news/how-do-gps-stations-monitoring-yellowstone-measure-such-small-movements?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>

Yellowstone Caldera Chronicles

Our latest contribution to the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory's "Caldera
Chronicles" is an explainer on how geodetic GPS stations measure their
position so precisely. It led to great comments and questions on social
media
<https://www.facebook.com/USGSVolcanoes/posts/252811836893292?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>
!

*READ MORE
<https://www.usgs.gov/observatories/yvo/news/how-do-gps-stations-monitoring-yellowstone-measure-such-small-movements?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>*

Antarctic Eclipse

Antarctica got a rare treat on December 4th—a total solar eclipse.
Ionospheric science got an assist from permanent GPS stations in the
Antarctic to record the event.

*READ MORE
<https://www.unavco.org/news/catching-an-antarctic-solar-eclipse-with-gnss-data/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2022n1>*
[image: Antarctic map]