AGU Session T020: The Alaskan and Northern Canadian Cordillera: Geology, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Petrology, and Tectonics

Elliott, Julie ellio372 at msu.edu
Tue Jul 19 22:05:58 UTC 2022

Dear Colleagues,

We’d like to invite you to submit an abstract to our AGU session T020: The Alaskan and Northern Canadian Cordillera: Geology, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Petrology, and Tectonics<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/prelim.cgi/Session/156562>.

The Alaskan and northern Canadian Cordillera, stretching from British Columbia and southeast Alaska to the Beaufort, Chukchi, and Bering Seas, is a seismogenic region consisting of accreted terranes and large-offset faults, past and present magmatism, multiple orogenic episodes, and a mantle with an array of inherited structures and striking velocity variations. Several recent studies in the area and the EarthScope Transportable Array have generated new data sets and results and the region has been identified as having world-class science questions to be targeted by future multidisciplinary/multi-sensor arrays (e.g., EON-ROSE). We welcome contributions on the geology, geochemistry, geophysics, petrology, seismology, and tectonics of the region, and encourage reports from the many recent studies as well as integrative summaries of the region. We also welcome contributions on past and recent earthquakes, as the 2020-2021 earthquake sequence along the Alaska subduction zone and the 20th anniversary of the Denali earthquake provide excellent opportunities to investigate earthquake processes and effects.

Invited speakers are Lindsay Lowe Worthington (University of New Mexico) and Theron Finley (University of Victoria).

The hybrid meeting will have options for both in-person and online participation.  Submit your abstract here: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/prelim.cgi/Home/0.  Abstracts are due August 3.

Regards,

Julie Elliott, Derek Schutt, Jeff Freymueller, and Matt Brueseke