Join us at an interdisciplinary meeting for Galápagos science!

Mittelstaedt, Eric (emittelstaedt@uidaho.edu) emittelstaedt at uidaho.edu
Tue Jul 26 12:47:07 UTC 2022

[cid:image001.png at 01D8A0B2.E03433D0]

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to join us at the first community meeting of the Island Systems Integration Consortium (ISIC)!  ISIC is a new NSF-sponsored Research Coordination Network (RCN) focusing on interdisciplinary science in the Galapagos. With this meeting, we will bring together geologists, biologists, and climate scientists to identify and pursue innovative, interdisciplinary questions for the next chapter of Galapagos research.

We have planned our first "All-Hands" meeting to take place October 24-28 in Cincinatti, Ohio. ISIC aims to bring together a community of scientists working in the Galápagos from across the natural sciences to imagine and investigate research questions at the intersection of geology, biology, and climate science that transcend single disciplines. We seek to create a network that is self-sustaining and constantly improving our ability to answer these questions into the future.

Our meeting page on the website<https://galapagosnetwork.org/ah-1/> has all the information you will need, including a tentative schedule for the event, a link to the meeting application, and (soon) a list of confirmed plenary speakers. Please note that our registration target date is August 28, 2022. Our grant budget can cover some costs of this event (travel, housing, breakfast and lunch, a conference dinner) for participants, and we will distribute these funds as equitably as possible. Please read more about conference travel support here<https://galapagosnetwork.org/ah-1/>.

Finally, we would welcome any feedback on our website<https://galapagosnetwork.org/> (still a work in progress) so please don't hesitate to send your comments our way.

If you are interested in participating, please apply on the meeting website!

Best wishes,

ISIC RCN AH1 Meeting Planning Committee

Julia Cole, Professor

University of Michigan

colejul at umich.edu<mailto:colejul at umich.edu>

Jessica Conroy, Associate Professor

University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

jconro at illinois.edu<mailto:jconro at illinois.edu>

Lucinda Lawson, Assistant Research Professor

University of Cincinnati

lawsonld at ucmail.uc.edu<mailto:lawsonld at ucmail.uc.edu>

Eric Mittelstaedt, Associate Professor

University of Idaho

emittelstaedt at uidaho.edu<mailto:emittelstaedt at uidaho.edu>

Virginia Dorsey Wanless, Associate Professor

Boise State University

dwanless at boisestate.edu<mailto:dwanless at boisestate.edu>

Jon Witman, Professor

Brown University